Alcatraz Island

Self-Guiding Trail
Dock
For thousands of years this island was a barren sandstone rock inhabited only by seabirds. In 1775 Spanbish explorer Juan Manuel de Ayala charted the Bay and named the Island "La Isla de los Alcatraces"- The Island of the Pelicans.

The island was still uninhabited when California became part of the United States in 1848. Centered in the Bay and facing the Golden Gate, Alcatraz was an ideal defenstive location. In 1853 the Army began to build fortifications on the Island. Some of these gun emplacements, such as the row of brick "casemates" above the dock, can still be seen today.


Sally Port
The guardhouse, with its fortified entrance or "sally port," was built in 1857 and is the oldest building on the Island. the cannon port, rifle slits and the dry moat under the road were designed to prevent an enemy invader from advancing to the top of the hill. The fortifications on Alcatraz were completed in 1859, and during the Civil War the Island had over 100 heavy cannon and a garrison of 300 soldiers. No enemy ever attacked, however, and the gun rooms on either side of the sally port were converted into jail cells.


Post Exchange/Officers' Club
Soldiers needed amenities at this isolated post. Before 1934 this building was the PX or Post Exchange (General Store). During the Federal prison years it was a recreation hall and Officers' Club with a dance floor, soda fountain, gymnasium, and two-lane bowling alley for the correctional officers and their families.

Behind the Officers' Club are the Quartermaster Warehouse and power plant, also constructed by the Army.


Military Chapel 1933
Barracks/Apartments 1905

Built in 1933 as an addition to the sally port below, this building was used as living quarters, school house, and occasionally as a chapel. During the Federal prison era it was remodeled into apartments for bachelor correctional officers.

The large, four-story building up the roadway to the right of the chapel was originally built as an Army barracks. Later it was an apartment house for Federal correctional officers and their families.


Military Convict Labor
Alcatraz became the Army's Pacific Branch Military Prison in 1907. Soldiers sentenced to hard labor chipped rock, built roadways and buildings, and transported soil from neighboring Angel Island. The soil was used for foundations and landscaping. Most of the vegetation, including the eucalyptus trees, was brought to Alcatraz; native vegetation was almost non-existent.
Cellhouse 1912
Front Entrance

Army prisoners constructed this massive cellhouse between 1909 and 1912. For a while it was the largest reinforced concrete structure in the world. Ironically, the first prisoners confined within its walls were those who built it.

In 1933 the Army transferred Alcatraz to the newly formed Federal Bureau of Prisons. The prison was redesigned as a maximum security facility to house "incorrigible" (non-reformable) civilian inmates from other Federal institutions. "The Rock" was a place to isolate troublesome convicts and adjust their behavior in prison. Surrounded by the cold, swift currents of SanFrancisco Bay, the natural isolation of Alcatraz was reinforced with barbed wire, guard towers, and double-barred windows.


Cellblocks
Inmates were surrounded by steel and concrete, their lives dominated by security and routine. The central corridor of the cellhouse was nicknamed "Broadway". The men spent 16 to 23 hours a day in their individual 5 ft. by 9 ft. cells.

Inmates who followed the rules of the prison could earn privileges such as time in the recreation yard, a job, books movies or visitors. Inmates who broke the rules lost these privileges.
Although the cellhouse could originally accommodate 600 men when completed by the military in 1912, during the Federal prison era the average population was about 260. Although the prison population was small, correctional officers were numerous - usually one guard for every three inmates. The caged walkways at either end of the corridor were the gun galleries where armed officers kept watch over the inmates.


Dining Hall
The dining hall was one of the most dangerous areas in the prison. Officers were unarmed, while inmates were armed with metal forks, spoons, and trays. Security was curcial. Tear gas canisters were mounted on ceiling beams, while officers carrying ifles patrolled on catwalks outside the windows.
Good food (said to be the best in the Federal prison system) helped to reduce tensions and keep the men even-tempered.
D Block
With its heavy steel doors and three-tiered gun gallery, D block was also known as Segregation, or the Treatment Unit. It was reserved for those inmates who broke Alcatraz regulations. men were usually kept in these cells 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Inmates left their cells once a week for a 10-minute shower. Boredom and loss of privileges were the primary punishments.
Inmates who were disruptive or committed offenses such as assaulting an officer, breaking property, or throwing excrement, might be further isolated in one of the solitary confinement cells numbered 9 to 14. the average stay in these steel boxes was three days, often in total darkness. Bedding was issued only at night.
The cells are larger in D Block because they were built during a modernization program in 1940, and new guidelines for cell sizes had been developed for Federal prisons.
The Escape Attempt of 1962
During the Federal prison era, 36 men tried to escape from Alcatraz in 14 separate attempts. The most notorious escape occurred here on June 11, 1962.
hree inmates--Frank Morris, John Anglin, and his brother Clarence--spent many months slowly chipping holes through the rear walls in each of their cells. Working at night, they carefully concealed their work with false cardboard grates. They stored tools and prepared escape equipment in the utility corridor behind the walls. The men made model heads of themselves from wire, newspaper, concrete, paint, and human hair. Each night these dummy heads were placed in their beds to fool the correctional officers during head counts.

After "lights out" on June 11, 1962, the three inmates climbed up through the utility corridors and crawled through a ventilator onto the roof. They headed to the north end of the island where they slipped into the water on homemade flotation devices. Although the three men were never seen again, they are presumed to have drowned in the cold, swift waters of San Francisco Bay.


The Closing of Alcatraz 1963
The cost of transporting water, fuel, food, and supplies to this isolated island made Alcatraz expensive to operate; its budget was twice that of any other Federal prison.
The buildings were deteriorating rapidly in the salt air, and repairs would have been unreasonably expensive. The Federal prison on Alcatraz closed March 21, 1963.
The Native American Occupation 1969-1971
In 1969 a group of Native American Indians occupied Alcatraz. They hoped to establish a cultural, spiritual and educational center on the Island. Although this goal was never achieved, the occupation of Alcatraz became a symbol of resistance and hope to the Indian Movement, and focused national attention on the problems and concerns of the American Indian.
Warden's House 1929
T
his was the Commanding Officer's home in the last years of the military era. During the Federal prison years (1934-1963) all four wardens resided here with their families. The house was destroyed by fire in 1970.
Lighthouse 1909
T
he first lighthouse on the Pacific Coast was built on Alcatraz in 1854. It was eventually overshadowed by the prison, however, and this modern tower replaced the original light in 1909.
Alcatraz Today
I
n 1972 Alcatraz island was made part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA) administered by the National Park Service. More than one million visitors come to Alcatraz each year, and the Park Service is pursuing the goals of maintaining and restoring the historic buildings and providing further opportunities for public enjoyment. Future plans call for removal of much of the debris and other safety hazards, and opening additional areas of the Island for public use and recreation.


Golden Gate National Recreation Area
Department of Interior - National Park Service